The new industry standard for launching IT careers
CompTIA’s cornerstone certification has received its scheduled update, with the new A+ Core Series now being available.
Designed to prove that IT professionals can think on their feet to perform critical IT support tasks, the CompTIA A+ Core Series appears in more tech support job listings than any other IT credential.
What skills do the new exams validate?
- Being able to install and configure end-user devices and software
- Connecting devices to networks
- Perform basic cyber security mitigations
- Troubleshoot common problems to diagnose and resolve issues
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of scripting, the cloud, and virtualization
What are the new exam domains?
The new CompTIA A+ Core 1 (220-1101) exam covers five domains
- Mobile devices (15%)
- Networking (20%)
- Hardware (25%)
- Virtualization and Cloud Computing (11%)
- Hardware and Network Troubleshooting (29%)
The new CompTIA A+ Core 2 (220-1102) exam covers four domains
- Operating Systems (31%)
- Security (25%)
- Software Troubleshooting (22%)
- Operational Procedures (22%)
What‘s important about this new version?
The new CompTIA A+ emphasizes the technologies and skills IT pros need to support a hybrid workforce.
- CompTIA A+ reflects the increased reliance on SaaS applications for remote work.
- The new CompTIA A+ focuses more than before on troubleshooting and how to remotely diagnose and correct common software, hardware or connectivity problems.
- A+ focuses on changing core technologies from cloud infrastructure and IoT device security to data management and scripting.
- Technicians encounter multiple operating systems on a regular basis, and A+ now covers the major systems, their use cases, and how to keep them running properly.
- CompTIA A+ reflects the changing nature of the job role, where many tasks are sent to specialized providers. Certified personnel are able to assess whether it’s best to fix something on site, or to save time and money by sending proprietary technologies directly to vendors.
CompTIA A+ Core Series FAQs
The CompTIA A+ Core series 220-1001 and 220-1002 have been updated in April 2022 to the new 220-1101 and 220-1102 versions.
Can I still sit the current A+ Core exams?
Yes, the last day you can take the CompTIA A+ Core 220-1001 and 220-1002 exams is 20 October 2022.
Can I combine the existing A+ with the new version of training?
No, your Core 1 and 2 examinations must be from the same version of the CompTIA A+, you cannot mix and match.
Why has the A+ Core been updated?
CompTIA releases new examinations approximately every three years. This ensures that their certification standards are continuously aligned to innovations within the technology industry.
If you have any additional questions about these changes please contact StudentCare™ Monday to Friday 09:00 to 18:00.